Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 35 Swim More. Quack Less.


Back in the pool this week I finally hit the mile mark. Of course, I pick the worst possible night to do it. I'm late getting to the swim center. I have to run first to get warmed up and that takes time and I have to allow time afterward to shower. Plus I need a big chunk of time to swim. Ugh.

I head upstairs and bang out a mile and a quarter on the treadmill and then head down to the pool. I always dress the same way everyday to save time. I put my racing suit on first, then my running shorts and a t-shirt on over that and then my street clothes and running shoes atop that. When I get to the gym I take off my street clothes and I'm ready to run. When I get done running I take off my shorts and t-shirt and I'm ready to swim. I've done it this way for my whole life. Works great.

A quick hop in the shower to lather up, rinse off and I'm ready. NO ONE should enter a pool without fully showering and that includes your hair because if you think about it, it's like getting in a bathtub with a bunch of strangers. Ew. Shower. Please shower. This is everyone's responsibility as it keeps the pool clean but it actually does something for you as well. If you let your skin, and more importantly your hair, absorb clean water first and then put a cap on, it won't readily absorb the pool water. Betcha didn't know that :) No green icky hair here. Of course I swim in a salt water pool which I'm so lucky to get to do but there is still some chlorine and chemicals. You don't want that attaching to your hair. I also put a silicon coating on the drier parts of my face and where my goggles will sit to reduce irritation and abrasion. Works great.

I hit the pool and it's nirvana: I have the entire pool to myself. Ahhhh! It's 8:35 pm and the pool will close at 9:45 pm, and the showers will be open til 10 pm. It takes me a half hour to swim a half mile and I want to swim a mile and still have time to ease the arthritis in my low back/tail bone in the jacuzzi before I hit the showers. Sounds like enough time but the 2nd half of the mile might take me longer due to fatigue.

So I feel pretty pressed the first half mile. I really want to get the first 33 lengths under my belt so I can work on the second 33. I use a special finger swim counter that you wear on your forefinger and click with your thumb after each lap. I would never be able to keep count without this. People are always asking what it is but it's a pretty common swim device. It looks like a little watch for your finger :)

My laps are slowed down as I cannot do the flip turn because for some reason since I had brain surgery it causes a massive equilibrium disturbance. I can't fix that, I just have to live with it but I'm out of breath at the end of each lap because I'm pushing it so much. I finally get through the first 33 laps which seems like an eternity and then I'm onto the second set.

It's a little after 9 pm when I start those but oddly they seemed to go by a lot faster than the first 33. I end at 9:30 - finally my first full mile in a very long time.

Swimming is amazing for trimming your waist, sides and hips. I make it a point to make each stroke count. I really reach for it, stretching out each side fully with each stroke and adding a little twist to work my sides a bit more. It's paying off. It's also tremendous for my arms and shoulders. Though I'm a bit sore today, it still feels good.

I am having a hard time imagining getting back up to 2 miles at a time. I used to swim 2 miles a day, almost daily. Energy levels aside, as a single mom I'd need to really carve that time out. We'll see. A mile right now is a lot for me.

Here's a pic of a guy with a swim lap counter thing for your finger. That's exactly what I have. They work great. You can use them for other sports, too. Hmmm I'd like to lap swim with this guy now that I think about it...:D

No comments:

Post a Comment