Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 11 The Land of Fruit and Nuts

When people think of any form of vegetarianism they often think of The Land of Fruits and Nuts - California. I happen to have been born and spent the first 42 years of my life there, but check out the latest bumper crop springing forth from Missouri!

Here's an article from the Columbia Missourian on 12/29/09, "Some Like it Raw" where regular folks like nurses and pizzeria workers are also going raw.

It's interesting to read that people helped themselves with such non-Hollywood conditions as attention deficit disorder, chronic pain, low energy and foggy thinking. Imagine that.

I think the nutritionist take on it is - typical. Most doctors have no nutrition training (I mean that) and few if any of us ever get to see a nutritionist. When we do, it's a really weird, unproductive experience. Been there, done that, multiple times and I hear similar results from friends around the country. Hmmm. Thanks anyway.

The problems she cites can be addressed. It's no reason to throw your hands in the air and run away. And remember - the medical profession has nothing to gain if you actually get well.

2 comments:

  1. That article was really interesting (and very helpful as well) to me. I would love to see the video it mentioned about the effects of the standard American diet on animals! And, I would also be interested in knowing more about the two-week "detox" as a preparation to converting. Seems like it might be a good idea. I'll look these up sometime when I feel like goofing off! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori *waving madly* I don't think you want to see the video you reference because I believe they're referring to the killing of animals to serve the standard American diet.

    I did mean to add in my post that the mention of becoming "physically ill" in the article is an extreme statement. That conjures up all sorts of scary imagery that I feel is harmful to the good the article could bring forth. Most people have headaches, lower energy, on and off days of not quite feeling themselves which comes and goes for the first 7-14 days depending. It's not constant and you won't be wrought with flu or vomiting or high fevers or be bedridden - it's more of just the effects of getting off of things like sugar and caffeine. Nothing you can't function through. We have headaches, bad days and worse on the standard American diet!

    ReplyDelete