Friday, January 8, 2010

Day 8 Sleep in Peace

Somehow between my surgery and the first of the year my sleep got even more whacked out than it already was. Over December I would be up til 4 am and then sleep til noon. I'd also nap again later because I was recovering from surgery and I let myself do that all I needed. I know that was one big reason I actually healed quickly and did well. Once the first of the year came I needed to get back on track but then I added raw vegan to the mix, which can result in needing less sleep. Things got pretty wild.

I forced myself to go to bed around 10 p.m. each night. Sometimes I'd be a little late and hit the hay by 11 p.m. Still, I'd lay in bed awake for up to 5 hours, thinking of all kinds of things, reading stuff, poking fat cats, counting sheep, but not able to go back to sleep. I'd have to wake up by 6 am to get my daughter to school and I feared the horrible exhaustion I lived through all of last year would over take me again.

But, that didn't happen. The first few nights of being up for hours freaked me out, but I discovered my energy wasn't really impacted the next day. Each day I fell asleep earlier and earlier and then I also started sleeping all night - another first.

It's after 11:00 pm now and I really should be in bed to stay on track but with requiring less sleep, it seems to be working out. Tomorrow is Saturday. I can sleep in some if I need to, get up a little later and it'll all be good.

The best part is waking up feeling almost normal again. I think I still have some overall fatigue and of course, still some internal healing going on which zaps some energy, but my energy is good during the day and I'm starting to be able to get more things done in my life.

I've been cleaning various aspects of the kitchen all week. Today I cleaned my gas stove top. It was a horrible mess that needed to be done well before my surgery but I ran out of time. I kinda laughed when I was done because I really won't have to do that again for a very long time!

As Michael Buble says in his song, "Feeling Good", Sleep in peace when the day is done, that's what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment