Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 25 Salt Reduction

There's an interesting article posted --->here<--- that says reducing salt intake could save 92,000 U.S. lives a year. That is a lot of people! Salt contributes to high blood pressure, heart disease and a whole host of other problems like kidney disease and osteoporosis. The article states that women would benefit the most.

Oddly a doctor told me I was 'low in iodine' and then advised me to eat as much salt as I wanted. Hmm. That didn't really seem prudent to me. If I was really iodine deficient, isn't there a better way? I can't believe he didn't prescribe me something. Big Pharma always there to make a buck, ya know.

I did eat some Nori for its iodine content for a while (dry seaweed used in sushi for those scratching your heads) and while I like it fine, it wasn't something that really stuck with me. I didn't really notice a difference in anything, either.

Now that I've been off salt so much things taste very different and of course the edema in my ankles and everywhere vanishes. We don't think about the invisible effects of salt, though.

Does make you wonder if they get people to decrease their salt will there be an increase in iodine deficiency? Can't imagine I'm getting 'enough' iodine now considering my doctor's recommendation.

Which brings me to one of my main points of going raw vegan: To reduce my contact with as many salty nutjob doctors as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment