Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 18 Going Commando

I knew that'd get your attention.

When I started this I said I wasn't going to try to make 'pizza out of bananas', as Harley Johnstone said. I agreed with that philosophy. Then I ventured into some chow mein and tried a raw cookie or two and even embarked on a few experiments I'll report on later, but at the end of the day these things really slowed down my progress and took me off my path. I did enjoy the thrill of creating a new recipe just for me (I've cooked professionally), but even while doing so I had issues with not only the soy sauce but the number of ingredients it took to create it. I'm not lazy, I just don't think this combination of multiple vegetables along with a manufactured soy sauce is normal. I can also tell you my belly wasn't really at peace with it, either, which further illustrates my point. I do feel that it was a good transition phase for me, and we all must have our paths. It's been fun, but I'm done with that now.

So, I'm going commando. No more fancy recipes or high fat nut cookies. I'm returning just to basics. I'll eat mainly fruit everyday and have some greens in the form of salads a few days a week and occasionally add some avocado or nuts once or twice a week.

I agree with Douglas Graham about how much fat really could have been obtained in the earliest of days and it's not a lot. I also agree that we eat far too much fat regardless of which lifestyle we follow. But back in the day, be it primate or Eve, think about how hard it would have been for someone to crack a walnut without tools and then dig out the meat without the advent of those shiny little picks we all take for granted. If you were hungry you weren't sitting around trying to extricate infinitesimally small pieces of nut meat to keep yourself alive. You were eating 4 bananas and going about your day until you could find food again.

I also agree with the different digestion times of fruit (which is very fast, gives you the energy you need and then exits without spiking your blood sugar then dropping you off a cliff like sugar does) and fats which can languish around in your body for 2-3 days before its effects wear off, complicating the benefits of the fruit you just ate.

I'll be following the 80/10/10 diet that Douglas Graham outlines, like I was in the beginning. You can check it out on the Amazon link below for more information. I'll be posting about this book in the future, but for now I highly recommend anyone interested in learning more about your food and digestion pick up a copy. You do not even have to 'convert' to Raw Foods at all. The food and nutritional education in just the first few chapters alone is worth the price of the book. Most of us will never learn anything about nutrition from our doctors (have YOU?) and you have to be wary of the industries (meat, dairy, etc.) who work hard to convince you that you need to buy their products. I wish I'd had this book 30 years ago.

If you can do just one thing for yourself this year, let it be this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment