Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 22 Going Bananas

Seems like a good time for some interesting info on the #1 fruit in the world - Bananas.

A banana tree isn't a tree at all. It's a giant herb.

Bananas are believed by many to be the first fruit cultivated by humans. I'm not surprised at this given how primates are so obsessed with them. Include me in that.

Bananas were first introduced to the U.S. at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Celebration. They were wrapped in foil and sold for 10 cents. Wow that seems pricey, but I'll take 4!

The average American consumes 28 pounds of bananas per year. I think I'll exceed that this month. You?

The banana peel is edible. Hmmm, really? I don't agree and don't see primates eating them, either. Next!

Half the people who are allergic to latex are also allergic to bananas. So, like no bananas in surgery I assume for the latex-free people as well. Bummer.

India produces the most bananas in the world. I never would have thought that.

The Cavendish banana is the most often stocked banana in stores. It has a name? Who knew?

They think the Cavendish banana will be eliminated by disease in the next 2 decades. Okay, that's scary :/

Scientists are trying to develop disease-resistant bananas. Hmm perhaps even scarier.

Chiquita was originally called the United Fruit Company. UFC? Sounds like a mens boxing/fight thing, probably good they changed it to something no one can spell.

In Uganda, bananas are such a big part of the their food source that the same word is used for both bananas and food - matooke.

Apparently Britain keeps track of banana related injuries. Again, who knew? Most of these injuries involve people slipping on banana peels.

Okay, now I ask you - how often do you see banana peels underfoot? I mean, never. I've never seen a banana peel anywhere that might have caused me injury. I've never had to watch my step to avoid becoming a banana statistic. What's up with the British and their bananas? Frankly, I wasn't even aware they had fruit in Britain much less it was causing such a ruckus that their government has to track their banana related injuries. ROFLMAO!!!

And a shout out to my skinny bitch friend Jsallee who said, "Who came up with that saying, 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away.'? I say we change it to a banana a day. What do you think?"

LOL! Jsallee, I agree! For anyone wanting to jump me for the skinny bitch comment - she writes a blog based on the Skinny Bitch cookbook - Becoming a Skinny Bitch. Check it out :)

2 comments: